Barton Deakin works closely with its clients as part of their core strategic team.
Barton Deakin doesn’t just open doors – it helps you understand what’s going on behind them, how to work most effectively with the Coalition in government or opposition and, most importantly, how to achieve your government relations goals.
Barton Deakin aims to empower you to manage your own exposure to government decision making by:
- Helping you develop comprehensive government relations strategies informed by insights into the inner workings of government
- Working with you to build a case and develop messaging that reflects the different priorities and personalities of each decision maker and those influencing decisions
- Giving you insight into the inner workings of government to understand how decisions are made and who makes them – so you can build your case most effectively
- Assisting you make the most of your meetings with decision makers with detailed preparation, briefings and follow up – so you can ensure no hard-earned meeting becomes a simple meet-and-greet
- Ensuring you make the most of meetings by organising follow-up for all contacts with government
On a practical level, Barton Deakin can help you with:
- Development and execution of an effective government relations strategy
- Building a case to support your strategy – and putting it in a context for the Coalition government or opposition
- Analysis of Coalition policy and how it will affect your business strategy
- Making the most effective submissions and presentations to the government or opposition
- Monitoring, intelligence gathering and strategic advice on government matters
- Contact programs with the government or opposition
- Training your key staff on the theory and best practice of good government relations.
Australian politics, at present, is a very volatile place. Governments, leaders and ministers are changing frequently, and for a company exposed to government, making long term investment decisions can be very risky indeed. Barton Deakin and our sister company, Hawker Britton, can “smooth out the lumps” for you and help make sense of what is happening. Importantly, we believe a mature adviser/client relationship is as much about telling you what you can’t do, and what won’t work, as what will. Beware of lobbyists that promise you the world.
In the confusing, ever-changing world of Australian politics, Barton Deakin believes that it is important for a successful company to have a good working knowledge of government across the whole of its senior executive. Barton Deakin loves nothing better than demystifying what is often portrayed as a mystical “art”. Good government relations are like any other corporate endeavour – it is methodical and requires hard work. We’d love to pass on our insights to your senior staff.