Barton Deakin Brief: Henderson Shipyard
Today, Prime Minister Scott Morrison and the Minister for Defence Peter Dutton announced a $4.3 billion investment to establish a large vessel drydock at the Henderson Shipyard in Western Australian. The facility will generate around 2000 direct shipbuilding jobs and up to 500 jobs created at the peak of construction.
- $4.3 billion investment to develop the first large-vessel dry docking facility at Henderson Shipyard in WA.
- Australian Naval Infrastructure will oversee the project
- The Commonwealth will work with the Western Australian Government and industry to develop a comprehensive master plan for the defence precinct at Henderson
- Work is scheduled to commence in 2023, with initial operational capability expected in 2028, and final operating capability in 2030.
- The facility will be designed to facilitate the construction and sustainment of large naval vessels in Australia.
- Currently, there is $30 billion worth of shipbuilding projects planned for WA. This includes an existing commitment of $1.5 billion to infrastructure improvements at HMAS Stirling and the Henderson Maritime Precinct.
- This is on top of a $30 billion strategy to expand naval capabilities along the West Coast
- This is a recognition of the expertise present in WA regarding the navy and the strategic importance of the Indian Ocean.
- It is important to note that Australia’s current and future submarine capabilities will continue to be run out of HMAS Stirling and other WA bases.
- The Government has directed the commencement of studies into what infrastructure and services are needed to support more frequent presence of the US and UK nuclear-powered submarines in WA.
- The announcement builds on sovereign shipbuilding outcomes outlined in the 2020 Force Structure Plan and the 2017 National Naval Shipbuilding Plan.
- To read the full media release click here.
To stay up to date with the affairs of Coalition Governments and Oppositions around Australia, you can follow Barton Deakin on Twitter and LinkedIn. For more information on Barton Deakin please visit our website.