Barton Deakin Brief: New Morrison Government Ministry
29 March 2021
Prime Minister Scott Morrison MP has announced his new Cabinet and Ministry and his new Cabinet Taskforce for Women. The changes include the creation of three new portfolio roles in respect to women’s issues.
- Senator Michaelia Cash will take over the role of Attorney-General and Minister for Industrial Relations. The role of Minister for Employment, Workforce, Skills, Small and Family Business will be given to Stuart Robert MP.
- The new Minister for Government Services and the NDIS will be Senator Linda Reynolds while the role of Minister for Defence will go to Peter Dutton MP. Minister Dutton will also become Leader of the House.
- Karen Andrews MP will be the new Home Affairs Minister and the role of Minister for Industry, Science and Technology will be taken up by Christian Porter MP.
- Senator Anne Ruston, the Minister for Families and Social Services will take on the newly created Cabinet role of Minister for Women’s Safety.
- Melissa Price MP will maintain her position as Minister for Defence Industry and will return to the Cabinet.
- Two new portfolios have been created: Assistant Minister for Women; and Minister for Women’s Economic Security.
- Senator Jane Hume, the Minister for Superannuation, Financial Services and the Digital Economy, will take on the new portfolio of Minister for Women’s Economic Security.
- Senator Amanda Stoker, the Assistant Minister to the Attorney-General and the Assistant Minister for Industrial Relations, will add the new role of Assistant Minister for Women to her portfolio responsibilities.
New Cabinet Taskforce
The new Ministry includes the creation of the Cabinet Taskforce on Women’s Equality, Safety, Economic Security, Health and Wellbeing.
The taskforce will be co-chaired by Prime Minister Scott Morrison MP and Minister for Women and Foreign Affairs, Senator Marise Payne. The ten other members are comprised of all seven other women in the Ministry and three senior Cabinet ministers:
- Deputy Prime Minister Michael McCormack MP (Minister for Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Development)
- Josh Frydenberg MP (Treasurer)
- Senator Simon Birmingham (Minister for Finance)
- Senator Michaelia Cash (Attorney-General and Minister for Industrial Relations)
- Senator Amanda Stoker (Assistant Minister for Women, Assistant Minister to the Attorney-General and Assistant Minister for Industrial Relations)
- Senator Jane Hume (Minister for Women’s Economic Security, Minister for Superannuation, Financial Services and the Digital Economy)
- Senator Anne Ruston (Minister for Women’s Safety and Minister for Families and Social Services)
- Michelle Landry MP (Assistant Minister for Children/Families)
- Melissa Price MP (Minister for Defence Industry)
- Senator Linda Reynolds (Minister for Government Services and Minister for the NDIS)
For more information
For more information, contact David Alexander on +61 457 400 524, Grahame Morris on +61 411 222 680, Tahlia Robertson on +61 438 259 671, Cheryl Cartwright on +61 419 996 066 or Jack de Hennin on +61 424 828 127.